(Breitbart) – Single men from Afghanistan are among the roughly 1,200 Middle Eastern refugees detained in Australia who have been approved for resettlement in the United States after President Trump failed to honor a commitment that he would terminate the refugee deal with the Oceania country.
Former President Obama signed the Australian-U.S. refugee deal during his last months in office — promising to take 1,250 Middle Eastern refugees off Australia’s hands.
The refugees – who are mostly adult males – are being held in detention centers on Manus Island and Nauru Island in Australia. Despite Trump’s original statement calling the deal “a dumb deal,” the president has now broken two long-promised campaign pledges: Throwing out deals that don’t benefit Americans and stopping the flow of foreign refugees.
Already, about 54 Middle Eastern refugees from the Australian detention centers have been resettled in the U.S., although more foreign refugees will be arriving in the new year, a report by The New Daily reveals.
— John Binder ???? (@JxhnBinder) October 2, 2017
Of those arriving in the U.S. next year, at least ten single men from Afghanistan will be among them. The Middle Eastern refugees arriving from Australia will have to immediately undergo major mental health treatment after they arrive in the U.S., as Breitbart News reported.
“We have single men, coming to the U.S. from Sri Lanka and Iran and Afghanistan,” refugee resettlement expert Ann Corcoran previously told Breitbart News. “They’ve been held in detention for four years. They’re free once they get here. They’ll be totally free. They’re going to need mental health treatment.”
Report: Middle East Refugees Coming to US from Australia Will Need 'Mental Healthcare' Treatment https://t.co/NdYvmjvz6q
— John Binder ???? (@JxhnBinder) October 5, 2017
The detention centers from which the mostly male, Middle Eastern refugees are arriving in the U.S. have a long history of allegations of sexual assault, rape, and pedophilia, Breitbart News has previously reported.
In January, a refugee from Sri Lanka living in the detention center raped an 18-year-old high school student multiple times after taking her to a nearby hotel, according to Loop. The girl tried to runa way to a relative’s home, but suffered so much blood loss from the brutal rape that she eventually fainted.
In another case in March, law enforcement officials confirmed that a 28-year-old Pakistani from the detention center had been charged with raping a 10-year-old girl, the Guardian reported.
Just a month later, refugees from the detention center were accused of trying to lure a five-year-old boy into the facility, causing an uproar in the local community about the danger the foreign nationals have become to children, as News Corp Australia Network reported.
The refugees in the detention centers also have a history of rioting.
In 2016, after Faysal Ishak Ahmed died of an illness at the Manus Island detention center, the refugees started a riot, Reuters reported at the time. Iranian refugee Behrouz Boochani posted a picture of what he and other refugees had done to the Manus Island facilities.
This was not the first time the refugees rioted and became violent at the detention centers. Back in 2014, the Manus Island refugees led a riot that left one dead and another 60 injured, as ABC News reported at the time.
An independent report that investigated the refugees’ riots found that the destruction occurred after the groups of mostly Middle Eastern men were angered over their detention, despite being warned not to enter Australia illegally:
They began on Sunday, February 16 when asylum seekers were given answers to their questions about how soon their claims would be processed, and where they would be resettled if deemed refugees.
“The transferees’ frustration and anger following that meeting resulted in disruption and violence in Oscar compound that evening and noisy protests,” the report said.
That night, about 35 asylum seekers tried to escape from the Oscar compound when the gates were opened for dinner delivery, but were caught by guards.
On the Nauru Island, about 125 refugees went as far as to burn down the majority of the detention center where they were being housed by the Australian government, as the Guardian reported at the time.
In this incident, the refugees started a fire that caused $55 million worth of damage, destroying medical centers and accommodation blocks after attempting to break out of the detention center. The majority were from Iran, Palestine, Iraq, and Lebanon.
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.