When you think of a Russian countryside, you probably don’t imagine gothic-styled castles. But here they are – proud, stunning, and unjustly forgotten…
This beautiful architecture came to Russia thanks to the Russian architects of the 19th century who visited Europe and got inspired by medieval castles and French-style palaces.
And often, it wasn’t just a poor imitation, but a real thing.
See for yourself.
1. Eltzin’s retreat area – Barvikha, near Odintzovo, Russia (Former Castle Mayendorf)
2. Vasilievskoe Mansion, near Zvenigorod, Russia
3. Uspenskoe Mansion, near Zvenigorod
4. Muromtzevo Masion, between Murom and Vladimir, Russia
5. Vyborg Castle, Vyborg, Russia
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.