The independent polling and research agency The Levada Centre has asked 1,600 to name their favourite world figures. The figures could be living or dead, Russian or non Russian. The respondents could answer freely as opposed to a multiple choice survey.
Here are the results
1. Stalin (Soviet leader, including during the Great Patriotic War)
2 (TIED). Vladimir Putin (current Russian President) and Alexander Pushkin (great Russian poet/author)
3. Vladimir Lenin (Bolshevik Revolutionary/first Soviet leader)
4. Tsar Peter I (founder of St. Petersburg/ruler of Russia)
5. Yuri Gagarin (first man in space)
6. Leo Tolstoy (prolific Russian novelist)
7. General Georgy Zhukov (hero of the Great Patriotic War)
8. Tsarista Ekaterina II (Ruler of Russia, first Russian female head of state)
9. Mikhail Lermontov (romantic Russian poet)
10. Mikhail Lomonosov (Russian renaissance man)
11. Alexander Suvorov (long serving military commander of the 18th century)
12. Dmitri Mendeleev (great Russian scientist)
13. Napoleon Bonaparte (Emperor of France)
14. Leonid Brezhnev (leader of the Soviet Union 1964-1982)
15. Albert Einstein (German/American scientist)
16. Sergei Yesenin (Russian lyric poet)
17. Mikhail Kutuzov (great Russian General of the 18th and early 19th centuries)
18. Isaac Newton (English scientist)
19. Mikhail Gorbachev (last Soviet leader)
What do you think of the results?
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.