MOSCOW, September 14 (Sputnik) – Bomb threat calls in Russia were initiated from abroad by persons associated with the Islamic State terrorist group (IS, ISIL, banned in Russia), a law enforcement source told Sputnik on Thursday.
“Law enforcement agencies promptly carried out events to ensure security of citizens. Inspections of facilities did not reveal threats of terror. Data was obtained as a result of… search and investigative activities … that anonymous reports were initiated by persons abroad who are related to the ISIL terrorist organization, which is banned in Russia, as well as other organizations,” the source said.
Russia’s law enforcement agencies had established a number of people who made bomb threat calls across the country, the source said, adding that they would be put on an international wanted list after completion of necessary procedures.
“The investigation is hampered by the fact that the organizers of and [those who carry out] these criminal activities are engaged in encoded communication via messengers and IP telephony,” the source explained adding that the investigation into the threats continued.
A source in the Russian emergency service also told Sputnik on Thursday that the bomb threat calls had been registered in eight schools across Moscow.
A series of anonymous calls claiming that bombs were allegedly planted in buildings have been made across Russia over the recent days. A source in the emergency service told Sputnik earlier on Thursday, that over the last 48 hours, over 130,000 people had been evacuated from 420 buildings because of these calls. Not a single case involving an explosive device planted in a building has yet been confirmed by authorities.
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.