A never ending war in Afghanistan, an invasion in Iraq, $4 trillion plus spent in the war on terror,the rise of ISIS, destruction in Syria, Libya bombings…when all the US really had to do was go after the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, who as everyone on the entire planet knows (or should know) by now, is the main sponsor of Al-Qaeda.
But hey, they got oil, and buy lots of US military hardware, so America gives them a pass.
The New York Times reports:
In highly unusual testimony inside the federal supermax prison, a former operative for Al Qaeda has described prominent members of Saudi Arabia’s royal family as major donors to the terrorist network in the late 1990s and claimed that he discussed a plan to shoot down Air Force One with a Stinger missile with a staff member at the Saudi Embassy in Washington.
The Qaeda member, Zacarias Moussaoui, wrote last year to Judge George B. Daniels of United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, who is presiding over a lawsuit filed against Saudi Arabia by relatives of those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He said he wanted to testify in the case, and after lengthy negotiations with Justice Department officials and the federal Bureau of Prisons, a team of lawyers was permitted to enter the prison and question him for two days last October.
Sputnik News Agency reports:
…Moussaoui wrote that members of the Saudi royal family, such as former intelligence chief Prince Bandar Bin Sultan and the ambassador of the country in the United States, Prince al-Waleed Bin Talal, were major donors to the terrorist organization in the late 1990s.
Moussaoui said he was responsible for creating a digital database of donors, so that Osama Bin Laden could have an overview of those who had contributed to jihad.
Moussaoui’ comments were incorporated in a lawsuit filed against Saudi Arabia by families of the victims of 9/11 attack. However, the Saudi embassy rejected all the accusations.
“Moussaoui is a deranged criminal whose own lawyers presented evidence that he was mentally incompetent,” its Monday’s statement said. “His words have no credibility.”
Moussaoui, the French citizen whose parents originally came from Morocco, was sentenced to life imprisonment in 2006. He was long suspected of organizing 9/11 attacks and had been arrested a few weeks before them. The German “Spiegel” magazine reports that only one vote of the twelve juries had saved him from the death penalty.
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.