The big money losers in the Brexit referendum were:
- Zara’s Amancio Ortega lost $6 billion
- Telecom mogul Carlos Slim lost $2.7 billion
- Microsoft founder Bill Gates lost $2.4 billion
- Oracle’s Larry Ellison lost $1.6 billion
- Amazon’s Jeff Bezos lost $1 billion
- Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg lost $1 billion
- The Koch Brothers lost just below $1 billion
The world’s 400 richest people lost $127.4 billion Friday as global equity markets reeled from the news that British voters elected to leave the European Union. The billionaires lost 3.2 percent of their total net worth, bringing the combined sum to $3.9 trillion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The biggest decline belonged to Europe’s richest person, Amancio Ortega, who lost more than $6 billion, while nine others dropped more than $1 billion, including Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos and Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, the wealthiest person in the U.K.
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.