Latest, News, Sections

World War Three is one step closer. US stops bilateral contact with Russia on Syria

The US has officially stopped all bilateral contact with Russia on Syria.

The US State Department has just announced that it is suspending diplomatic relations with Russia over Syria, a move that places the entire planet one step closer to a war between the two nuclear powers.

The impasse between the two nations come down to this simple truth…

Russia has been invited to Syria, legally under international law, to destroy Al Qaeda and ISIS, and restore order to what is the legitimate, internationally recognised government of Syria.

The United States has not been invited into Syria, and is operating illegally under international law, to destroy the legitimate, internationally recognised government of Syria, with a proxy army consisting of Al Qaeda and ISIS jihadists.

The two sides are world’s apart, and on a collision course of epic proportions.

US State Department spokesman John Kirby…

“This is not a decision that was taken lightly.”

“Unfortunately, Russia failed to live up to its own commitments — including its obligations under international humanitarian law and UNSCR 2254 — and was also either unwilling or unable to ensure Syrian regime adherrence to the arrangements to which Moscow agreed,”

“Rather, Russia and the Syrian regime have chosen to pursue a military course, inconsistent with the Cessation of Hostilities, as demonstrated by their intensified attacks against civilian areas.”

The US State Department spokesman (who only a few days back said ‘Russians would be coming home in body bags’) accused Russia and the Syrian Army of escalating its attacks on civilian areas.

Kirby said the Russian and US militaries will continue to use a communications channel set up to ensure the two forces do not get in each others’ way during “counterterrorism operations in Syria.”

One mistake, by either side, and things can easily spiral out of control.

Here is John Kirby’s full statement…


Zerohedge reports further on the freeze in bilateral relations between Moscow and Washington…

The United States is calling home personnel who had been sent to Geneva in order to set-up a “Joint Implementation Center” with Russian officers to plan coordinated strikes.

And US diplomats will suspend discussions with Russia on reviving a September 9 deal reached between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. Under that protocol, a truce came into effect on September 12 but it collapsed within a week amid bitter recriminations and a surge of fighting in the five-year-old civil war.

Kirby repeated Washington’s charge that Russia and the regime were responsible for the deadly September 19 attack on a United Nations aid convoy in northern Syria, outside Aleppo. He had nothing to say about the confirmed US-alliance strike on Syrian troops that killed over 60 soldiers.

While we await the Russian response, we can’t help but note that the drums of (global, non-proxy) war in Syria are beating ever louder. The next escalatory step from the US at this point would be to send US troops in Syria, which would be promptly met with a matched retaliatory response by Russia, and perhaps China too, which as reported several weeks ago, informally joined the conflict on the side of Syria’s president Assad when it said it would provide “aid and military training” to Syria’s current president.


Previous ArticleNext Article
Alex Christoforou
Writer and director forThe Duran - Living the dream in Moscow.

Follow me:Facebook Twitter Blankchat